Four Weeks Before:
- Hold a moving sale or donate all unwanted items.
- Keep a list of items that you will need to replace.
- Check with your insurance company to find out if your goods are covered during transit.
- Start using foods and cleaning supplies that cannot be moved.
- File a change of address at your local post office.
- Get a copy of the IRS publication relevant to moving from the library. It will be easier to fill out now than when tax season rolls around.
- Stock up on boxes and packing material.
Two Weeks Before:
- Arrange for local phone service.
- Transfer your bank accounts and establish an account in your new location before the move if possible.
- Transfer prescriptions and make sure you have an adequate supply of medications on hand.
- Return any borrowed items and retrieve any loaned items.
One Week Before:
- Start packing! As you pack begin to take inventory of your belongings.
- Confirm any travel reservations.
- Clean lawn mower and drain gas and oil from power equipment. Disconnect any spark plugs.
Two or Three Days Before:
- Disconnect and prepare major appliances for moving.
- Finish up packing. Pack a box of items that you will need immediately at your new home.
- Take down remaining curtains, blinds and shelves.
- Do a thorough cleaning, including emptying and cleaning trash cans.
- Call you Movers to Confirm their Arrival Time
- Leave a telephone number and forwarding address with a neighbor in case of emergency.
- Make sure all lights and remaining appliances are turned off.
- Take one last walk through the house and make sure everything has been packed.
- Supervise loading if using professional movers.